CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, October 23, 2008

Wearing the Birqa: for a day in Qatar

Despite the name it has developed, the engulfing blue garment worn by Afghani women is not really a birqa (burqa is bad spelling too by the way). A birqa is a traditional mask worn by mainly older generation or bedouin women in Saudi Arabia, Oman, Qatar, and the UAE (forgive me if I forget anyone). Most men veiw it as an "old lady" fashion of their grandmother's, and tourists see it as a curiosity without the religious or suppressive connotations of the veil (niqab if you want to use Muslimah speak). But a few Islamic designers such a Abu Dhabi's "Arabesque" and an Omani designer are trying to bring the birqa back. Depsite, in Bedouin design, making you look, "like a terradactyll" -says my little sister- I have tried it on, and it IS more comfy and breathable than a niqab. Makes sense in the desert. In fact, you hardly feel it's there because it is lifted away from your face/ Alternative do you think? Arabesque thinks so, by designing birqas in different colours and covering them with crystals. I think the light 40s netting adds a sophisticated period flair to the traditional birqa, as on my header.
On a trip to Qatar "Auryfr" volunteered to try this look out for me and gauge people's reactions to this alternative to the niqab:

"Back from a week in Qatar. I wore this for the first 2 days. Yes more breathable and light. But my husband quickly asked me to get back to a "regular" niqab as this mask do not cover enough to his taste. But I will try to wear it time to time.
May be in not too public places. ""i did it today as was less cold. I got more stares from people than in regular niqab, but i think i saw also more smiling stares. It s seem more "acceptable" there. I wore it again with the light overveil on. and make eating and drinking so much easier.I really liked my day in it. My husband still think it s too revelaing of my face but let me do as i want. "
Would you wear it?

0 comments: